Sunday 22 June 2014

Zouk- a part of me

I don't even know how to start. 

To finally embrace how this feels like - knowing that a place that means so much to me and I have come to call home, will potentially disappear, forever.

To say I am saddened, does little or practically no justice to how I actually feel. Not because I might potentially lose my job (that really is secondary at this point in time) but that I am essentially losing a part of myself. 

Just like 99% of 18 year olds in Singapore, I lost my virgin clubbing experience at Zouk, specifically at Phuture and Mambo Jambo: the Wednesday rite of passage.

It is where I discovered my love for Tequila shots, refined my taste for single malt whiskeys and celebrated every single birthday and Christmas and New Year's since I was 18. The place I was lost in love and fell in love, lost and found myself and where I have learnt the purest kindness and loyalty and also seen the worst sides of human nature. 

In May 2006, at the age of 23, fresh out of school, I joined the Zouk family. I have spent 8 years growing, learning, living and breathing Zouk. I am truly blessed, to not only enjoy what I do, but know that everyday I am inspired to take the brand to new heights. And I'm not saying this because it sounds great on a blog post dedicated to how i feel about Zouk or our pending expiring lease, but because if you know me, you know this is the truth. 

Zouk is possibly one of the most intriguing brands that exists today. Catered to the masses, yet still having a unique identity of its own. A club in itself, having world class DJs and musicians grace our decks and take on our stage, yet also having developed into a sub culture of its own. Part of the local fashion, design and creative communities, Zouk has taken music as the binding factor to bring together people and inspirations.

A home grown Singapore local brand, yet internationally known. 9 time award winner of the Singapore Tourism Board- Best Nightspot Experience Awards and top 7th club in the DJ Mag Top 100 Clubs in the World Poll. It isn't even about the accolades anymore, as I write this, I realize it is about how Zouk has touched each of our hearts and our lives.

Break ups, engagements, weddings, birthdays- how many of us have raised our glasses in each of these occasions at Zouk? Drowned our sorrows, laughed our joys and danced till our feet ached and our hearts rejoiced, all at Zouk? Let's not even start talking about ZoukOut- where below that one sky, we have danced under the stars and watched sunrise together with friends and loved ones and wished it was all a dream that we never had to wake up from. It's not even an exaggeration. And you know I am right.

I have always believed that in life, I was meant to inspire and that the people I meet know they matter, no matter at what level it might be- a friend, a working partner, a colleague. Zouk has enabled me to do just that. To share the music, the dance floor, the ideas and that many bottles of whisky over never ending conversations, life long partnerships and simple moments. 

I write this with a heart that is truly hurting. For a place that means so much to me. For the Zouk family that have become my very own family. Surely this can't be the end? Everyone says Jiak Kim Street is Zouk and Zouk is Jiak Kim Street. It's like peanut butter and jelly- it can't possibly be peanut butter and kaya right? It's just not right. 

If you had your first sour plum shot at Zouk or shared a jug of long island tea with your army mates in Phuture or downed the glass of Velvet Rope at Velvet with your girlfriends or cried in the corner at Wine Bar over a break up or danced on the TGIW console on a Wednesday dreading Thursday's work, then what next? 

We aren't just a club. That's the difference. Zouk belongs to everyone of us. 

www.save-zouk.com
#SaveZouk 















1 comment:

  1. ����
    #SAVEZOUK #DjGhettoFangirl

    ReplyDelete