Wednesday 23 January 2013

The Bangkok Charm: why i keep going back

I find myself returning to Bangkok often enough, once every 1.5 - 2 months. My colleagues think I have a hidden boyfriend or husband and kids there. Here's the real deal why. In a summary of snapshots, its the people, the food, the freedom of creativity, the honesty of the city and but of course the massages.

And that each time I return, its a revelation of something different. We are all but in search of new-ness yet needing familiarity. Bangkok gives me that. It has never failed me.

Jan Jan's kitty cat for me x
Before Breakbot's gig, at Mellow- Jan Jan & Tham
I have the nicest friends in Bangkok. Tham owns a design studio- MMFK and is possibly the biggest thing in Bangkok now. He's been doing works for Absolute, Heineken, Vespa, Converse and he co-owns UR FACE with Joker, my closest buddy there.

Jan Jan is the vocalist for Aerolips- an electro-pop and indie band there and she's gorgeous. MMFK and Aerolips recently did a collaboration! I got an autographed CD. HEARTS max. She's on FB at: AEROLIPS and check out her latest track: http://colorcode.bandcamp.com/album/make-believe-future-ex-boyfriend

I love the randomness of how I met each of them. And how i ended up in the stock room of uRFACE before checking out Breakbot at Bad Motel.

My pretty bow shoes & URFACE
Me carrying my very own URFACE at MELLOW
URFACE is owned by Joker and Tham. They have a shop at Siam Square and essentially they design bags with an urban feel. It's a hobby yet there is huge demand for expansion in the region. I kid you not, their FB page has more than 20,000 likes. FB: URFACE

So really, the friends I have made inspire me each time I'm there, receive me with the widest hugs and there is always a gig to go for, a party to attend or an exhibition to walk through. It feeds my soul. I need it.

The people draw me back each time x 

This man was so proud demonstrating how to use the cutter he was selling for 100 BAHT at Pratunam market

Crepe lady at MBK, Nutella saves the day
Store vendor posing for me at Rod Fai Vintage Market
This trip, i also managed to check out new places- The Pratunam market, Asiatique and Union Mall all of which i had never been before. And maybe because I can't consume any alcohol (which I'm utterly depressed about), we didn't quite party.

Kay Kay and me
Daph and me
Daph, me and Kay Kay
Pat, Daph and Kay Kay
Daph and Pat
We also got to babysit Leah on one day. She was an absolute gem. I think a picture says it all.


Siam Square reopened after the renovation, and honestly, the local designers are amazing! We went to get our fix of Greyhound chicken wings and I ended up shopping at Wonder Anatomie, i wanted to buy everything!

Greyhound Chicken Wings
Wonder Anatomie
Art installation at Siam Square
Store at Siam Square
And of course, I couldn't stop eating. Joker also brought us to Waterside, with my favorite salted egg squid. =)

Salted egg Squid at Waterside
Te Kah Peng Opposite Platinum Mall
Roast Duck and Char Siew at MK
Tom Yam at Siam Night Market
SOM TAM at Waterside
And everyday i drank bubble tea from MR SHAKE. Milk tea with honey jelly. I LOVE IT and its only 45 BAHT!! And we ate MISTER DONUT everyday, the mochi donuts. Kay kay loves the strawberry and blueberry ones. Daph and me love the chocolate mochi ones!

I believe that getting lost should be the way to go when at Chatuchak, but I managed to get crystal and jade bracelets which I'm really pleased with. And feeling completely mixed feelings for the animals for sale and on display, amidst being in awe of the decor in some stores despite it being such a casual marketplace.

 

Decor at a store at Chatuchak
Basil Pork rice topped off with the perfect fried egg

Hence i keep going back, because the energy draws me. It is something that Singapore hasn't been able to give me.


This road side ice cream is *thumbs up* YUMMY!!
Kay Kay and the umbrella
One of my favourite places in Bangkok- Rod Fai Vintage Market
My favourite buys from this trip- new besties
Hello Kitty- outside the massage place we went to every day
The all time favourite Wan ton mee- it was honestly awesome
Decor at one of the shops at Platinum
Thank you Bangkok for being my temporary paradise. Always x
Can't wait to return soon.

4 comments:

  1. Love the blogpost!! Made me smile and miss the times we had!!!! <3

    -Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking better than ever, Sof! Great to see that you're having fun! :)

    xoxo,
    Cin
    http://www.fashbrown.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you dear! I hope you are well. We must catch up soon please!

    xx
    Sof

    ReplyDelete